What Happens If I Swallow Mouthwash?

Posted .

Have you accidentally swallowed your mouthwash? If so, you have come to the right blog. Our dentist, Dr. Yakov Royzman & Karina Zaygermakher, is happy to give you the tips you need so you can have the top-notch health you need and deserve.

If you have swallowed a minimal amount of mouthwash, you can expect nausea and diarrhea. These symptoms should pass within a day or two. This is nothing to worry about and it’s important to make a goal for yourself to focus when you use mouthwash next. If you need to, shut and lock the bathroom door so you don’t have any outside distractions.

If you have swallowed a large, overdosing amount of mouthwash, you will most likely feel dizzy or drowsy. You might also have trouble breathing, have convulsions, or slip into a coma. These symptoms can occur if the mouthwash has potentially poisonous ingredients, like fluoride or ethanol. If the mouthwash does indeed have these ingredients, call the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for quick, confidential help. If necessary, make a trip to the Emergency Room.

If you have any questions or if you would like to know more about what to do if you swallow mouthwash in New York, New York, please contact Professional Dental & Implant Center today at (212) 579-0552. Our dental team is here to help you, and we look forward to your phone call!